The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) is one of those essential visits when visiting New York. In this post you will find the main points you need to know for your visit, but now it's time to go even deeper into the information about all the prices, discounts and free tickets.
This way, you will be aware of all the details to save a few euros so you can enjoy this temple of modern art, whatever the budget you have.
Visit MoMA with free audio guide
Visit the Museum of Modern Art in New York without queuing up. Visit the special exhibitions and admire the magnificent works of great artists such as Van Gogh, Picasso and Andy Warhol.
This price may be altered if it's the weekend, in high season or depending on demand. But it is the best option given that MoMA is one of the most important museums in the world and receives thousands of visitors every day.
In addition to no waiting and no queues, this ticket includes a free audio guide and an additional entrance to MoMA PS1, which is the museum's contemporary art centre on Long Island. You can visit this centre during the 14 days following your visit to MoMA.
Recommended if... you don't want to leave out of your itinerary this wonderful visit to the world of modern art and its best exponents. There is nothing better and more convenient than ensuring access to one of the most important and most visited museums in New York.
MoMA ticket prices
Buying tickets for the MoMa at Hellotickets costs approximately 20 euros and is a perfect option if you want to avoid wasting time at the ticket office. Something you won't regret, because the MoMa's collection comprises almost 200,000 pieces in total and every minute is gold!
Ticket prices at the box office
- Admission for adults: From 21€ ($25).
- Adults over 65 (ID required): From 15€ ($18).
- Visitors with disabilities: From €15 ($18).
- Caregiver accompanying a visitor with a disability: Free admission.
- Students (ID required): From 12€ ($14).
- Children under 16: Free admission.
- MoMA members: Free admission.
What's included in the MoMa tickets
Included with your MoMa ticket:
- Freeaudio guide.
- Films and gallerytalks.
- Admission to the Museum of Contemporary Art PS1, Long Island City's contemporary art centre, for up to 14 days after your visit. Specifically, admission to MoMA PS1 must be scheduled in advance and space is limited.
Save on MoMA tickets with one of the city's sightseeing passes
Tickets to the MoMa are included in selected sightseeing passes such as the New York Pass, the Sightseeing Pass and the Explorer Pass.
- Explorer Pass: Offers free admission to 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 10 attractions, including MoMA. Depending on the number of days for which you purchase it, the pass will have a different cost.
- The New York Pass: This gives you free admission to more than 10 attractions, including MoMA, plus discounts on tickets to restaurants, shops and Broadway shows for a specific number of days. The longer the number of days, the higher the cost of the Sightseeing Pass.
- The Sightseeing Pass: This card allows you to choose from over 150 attractions and offers including the MoMa, as well as get a sightseeing bus ticket to match the duration of your pass. Likewise, the longer the number of days, the higher the cost.
In addition, there are other tourist cards that offer discounts on admission to the MoMa: FreeStyle Pass (40% discount) and New York C3 CityPASS (30% savings).
If you have doubts about which pass to choose or even if it is really profitable or not, do not hesitate to visit the post about the comparison of New York tourist cards where I break down all the details so you do not have any doubts about what to do.
Free admission to the MoMa
The MoMa offers free admission for certain sections of the population. Here are all the details:
- MoMa members and partners: Members and partners will enjoy free and unlimited access to MoMA, subject to capacity restrictions. Tickets must be reserved in advance, indicating the time of access. And on Monday mornings from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., access to the museum is limited to members, so that they can visit the collection at their leisure.
- Student or artist groups and associations
- Schools and universities, including teaching staff
- Children under 16 years of age
- Staff from other museums, American Association of Museums (AAM) and International Council of Museums (ICOM)
- Government employees, United Nations, active duty U.S. military and military families with dependents' cards: free admission.
Information on all groups is available here.
UNIQLO Free Friday Nights
Until COVID-19, visitors could enjoy UNIQLO Free Friday Nights every Friday, which consisted of opening the MoMa free of charge from 16:00 to 20:00 h on Fridays. This service has been suspended for the time being, but is expected to be reactivated very soon.
Discounts in restaurants that you will have access to when you buy your MoMa ticket
The restaurants where you will get a discount when you present your MoMa ticket are as follows:
- Bengal Tiger: 10% discount on dinner on the day of ticket purchase.
- Bill's Bar & Burger: 10% discount on the bill.
- Fogo de Chãov: 10% discount on food (excludes drinks and is not valid during happy hour).
- II Corso: 10% discount on a main course on the day of the ticket purchase date.
- Il Gattopardo: 10% discount.
- La Esquina Midtown: 15% discount.
- MakiMaki Sushi: 10% discount.
- Shake Shack: 10% discount.
- Side Door: 10% off.
- Taco Dumbo: 20% discount.
Parking discounts available with your MoMa ticket
- ICON Parking, 1330 Sixth Avenue:: An additional fee starting at £8 ($10) will apply to oversize vehicles at the established rates listed below. Tickets must be validated in the MoMa lobby.
- The 1345 Garage, 101-41 W.54 St:: The 1345 Garage, 101-41 W.54 St: An additional fee starting at $7 ($9) will apply to oversize vehicles at the prices listed below. Tickets must be validated at the MoMA lobby.
You already have all the information about tickets and discounts. Even so, if you want more information, you can read our post about MoMa tickets.
And if you're not sure where to continue your New York City itinerary when you've finished your visit, don't hesitate to visit our New York City Guide.