Chosen by many celebrities as their place of relaxation and leisure, the Hamptons is an oasis of peace that delights with its country beauty and rustic villages. Just 100 miles from New York City, the Hamptons is the perfect destination for a full day trip.
Away from New York's skyscrapers, you'll find a myriad of rural landscapes, open skies and homes of the highest standard. On the many varied excursions from New York City, you can visit Sag Harbor and Southampton, shop at the Tanger Outlets, visit celebrity homes and much more, just some of the things you can see on a Hamptons tour, which is one of the best things to do in New York.
1. Visit the Hamptons, Sag Harbor and the Mall
Among the many options for excursions from NYC, this is one that combines in a balanced way the tranquility of the Hamptons meadows with a shopping trip, where you can get great deals at Tanger Outlets so you don't get completely out of the rhythm of the big city.
The tour can start from New York and go through Queens to get to the coast of Long Island to see the best rural landscapes along with dreamy design houses. In Sag Harbor and Southampton, in addition to the stunning sights, the guides will tell you about the 300-year history of these cities.
You'll have the chance to stop for a wine tasting, and you'll have free time not only to explore these beautiful places at your own pace, but also to take advantage of the offers at Riverhead Tanger Outlets.
Details of interest
- Price: from 160 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately 12 hours in total.
- Means of transport: you will be picked up from your hotel and travel in a minibus or van.
- Advantages of this option: wine tasting included and free time for shopping.
- Disadvantages of this option: not recommended if you are travelling with children, as they can get tired from the long journey.
2. Arrive by helicopter for a picnic in the Hamptons
Is there anything more glamorous than a picnic on the beach in the Hamptons? The answer is a resounding yes, arriving at the picnic aboard a helicopter. Without wasting any time in city traffic on your way to the Hamptons, you'll be whisked to your destination in a modern and comfortable helicopter, enjoying panoramic views of Manhattan, rural landscapes and the entire coastline.
It's an experience you can do with a group of up to 6 people. It can be done during the day or at night, and upon arrival, depending on your schedule, you will have a personal assistant waiting for you with a gourmet lunch or dinner in a luxurious setting. If you have any special menu requirements or preferences, you can indicate them at the time of booking.
After a day in the Hamptons, you will also return to Manhattan by helicopter. This is, without a doubt, an unforgettable plan that stands out among the top 10 things to do in the summer in New York City.
- Price: around 390 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately 5 hours.
- Means of transport: the tour includes pick-up from your hotel or airbnb to the helicopter.
- Advantages of this option: this is a completely out-of-the-ordinary experience, where you can experience the luxury to which celebrities are accustomed.
- Disadvantages of this option: not suitable for pregnant women or patients with heart conditions.
3. Private one-day tour of the Hamptons
In this case, the tour offers you a one-day tour of the Hamptons, travelling in a private car with a personal driver. As in other cases, you can go in a small group with other travellers or with your family, friends, or whoever is travelling with you.
During the day you will have free time to organise yourself as you wish, as well as being able to stop with the driver at certain places. As part of the tour, you will be taken to spend some quality time at the famous Coopers Beach, and make a 20 minute stop at the colonial Mulford Farm. You'll also be driven through Montauk, in the town of East Hampton, the Long House Reserve, with its 20 acres of gardens filled with trees, greenery and sculpture, the iconic Montauk Point Lighthouse, the Parrish Art Museum and the Shinnecock Museum and Cultural Center.
You'll be free to explore the other Hamptons resorts and the rest of the region on your own. You will be there for lunch, where you will enjoy the prestigious restaurants that this incredible place has. Please note that lunch is not included in the price of the tour.
Details of interest
- Price: from 570 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately 8 hours.
- Means of transport: the tour includes hotel pick-up, you will travel aboard a private car.
- Advantages of this option: it is a private tour with a driver at your disposal, ideal for maximum relaxation and not having to worry about anything.
- Disadvantages of this option: lunch and drinks are not included.
4. Hamptons and Long Island Winery Tour
This tour takes you from Manhattan to the Hamptons for a day dedicated to food, and especially wine tasting, with a visit to local wineries. These tours are some of the most comprehensive, including transfers, an experienced guide and a very special itinerary.
The tour starts in Southampton, where you can wander along its quaint shops, beaches, cafes and the iconic Billionaires Lane, a 5-mile long waterfront street lined with the most luxurious mansions. Then on to Sag Harbor, the whaling town that dates back to the 18th century where you will explore the region and have time for lunch in the harbour and if you like you can sample the famous fresh seafood.
As the last and main part of the tour, you will cross over on board the Cross Sound Ferry to the North Fork where you will find small villages, vineyards, 29 wineries and some farm stands.
Details of interest
- Price: from 1050 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately 12 hours.
- Means of transport: includes pick-up from your hotel or Airbnb, and you will travel aboard a van or minibus.
- Advantages of this option: it is a themed tour, dedicated to gastronomy and fine wine, ideal to delight your senses.
- Disadvantages of this option: it may not be an ideal option for children.
5. Manhattan to Hamptons Helicopter Tour
This is a tour that takes you from Manhattan to the Hamptons by helicopter, not only to reduce a 3 hour or so overland trip to a 45 minute flight, but also to take in the breathtaking scenery along the way. This tour is undoubtedly one of the best helicopter tours in NYC.
Once in the Hamptons you will have about 4 to 5 hours to explore the Hamptons at your own pace. In that time you can take in the magnificent beaches, the restaurants and shops, historical sites and of course the luxurious mansions. Many of these buildings belong to celebrities such as Madonna, Steven Spielberg or Beyoncé. And if celebrities and show business is something that interests you, consider on your return to the Big Apple taking one of the many tours of movies and series filmed in New York City, because I assure you that you will not regret it.
Please note that this experience includes only the helicopter ride, transfers to the heliport, lunch and any other activities you decide to do in your free time in the Hamptons will be at your own expense.
Details of interest
- Price: from 800 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately 6 hours.
- Means of transport: you will have to get to the heliport by your own means to enjoy an incredible helicopter ride.
- Advantages of this option: it is a tour in which you can enjoy the aerial view of the region and all the charm of the Hamptons.
- Disadvantages of this option: it is not suitable for pregnant women and patients with cardiac deficiencies.
6. Hamptons Shopping Tour
This is a tour designed specifically for shopping in the Hamptons. The experience is personalised, as it is done in groups of no more than 6 people.
The guide in charge will take you and your group to the most important places of interest in the Hamptons, such as the mansions, ports, beaches and historical sites. But in addition to that, and as the star of this excursion, you will have a shopping tour where you will be shown the best places to buy all kinds of things, and free time in the shopping centres to buy what you want in a relaxed way. Highlights include the famous Tanger Outlets.
The tour includes pick up and drop off at your hotel or Airbnb in a private van. Refreshments and lunch are not included.
Details of interest
- Price: from 1100 euros per person.
- Duration: about 12 hours in total.
- Means of transport: pick up from your accommodation is included, you will travel in a comfortable van.
- Advantages of this option: guide through the best shops and malls.
- Disadvantages of this option: it is exclusively for those looking for shopping, as this activity is emphasized over the tour of the area.
How to book a Hamptons tour?
The best way to book a Hamptons tour from New York City is online. This way you can check that whoever is offering the tour has good references and positive reviews, and you can also see the many options available and choose the one that best suits your plans. Remember that this is a great place to visit with the little ones in the family, making a trip to the Hamptons one of the top 10 things to do in New York with kids.
Tips for a trip to the Hamptons
The Hamptons has a lot of sights to see, and this can make a single day there leave you wanting to explore more. For this reason, a fundamental tip is to organise your visit very well.
Look at the alternatives offered by the guided tours to see which one best suits your tastes. Do you want to spend more time on the beach? Are you more interested in the architecture and luxury mansions? Do you want to go shopping? Define what you don't want to miss and then take in the rest of the attractions in the remaining time.
In any case, if you have something left to see, what better excuse to return to the Hamptons and maybe stay there for a few days next time? This place is ideal if you decide to visit New York in August.
Why take a shopping trip to the Hamptons?
The Hamptons are very close to Manhattan, but it's important to note that travelling on your own can be tricky in terms of timing and being able to squeeze in a day to see all the sights. If you are not staying in the Hamptons and you are going to make a day trip from NYC, the best option is to hire a guided tour.
Accessing the Hamptons by public transport can take quite a long time, for example, by train the estimated time is about 3 to 4 hours, which greatly reduces the time available in the area (if we want to return in the day). On the other hand, if you book a tour, the time is perfectly organised so that your time in the Hamptons will be worth it. Tours take you to the main sights of the area and give you plenty of time to appreciate the place.
How long is a Hamptons tour?
Due to the amount of things to see and enjoy in the prestigious coastal region, the average length of a Hamptons tour is between 8 and 12 hours in total. So if you're planning to book a tour from New York City to the Hamptons, bear in mind that between the tour itself and the transfers you'll be spending a full day. Consider this when planning your days in the Big Apple.
What will I see on a trip to the Hamptons?
It all depends on the option you choose among the alternatives, but the most important tourist attractions in the Hamptons and its surroundings are:
- Westhampton: this stands out for being one of the Hamptons villages with the most peaceful atmosphere.
- Quogue: this village is the wildest and where nature stands out. Very interesting at this point, if you have time, visit the Quogue Wildlife Refuge.
- Southampton: one of the most glamorous areas, with its Main Street full of shops, cafes, high-end restaurants and much more. Among the restaurants I recommend Sant Ambroeus where you will taste the best Italian pastas.
- East Hampton: the most luxurious mansions of the Hamptons are located here.
- Sag Harbour: this is a whaling village with a lot of history behind it. It is noted for its quaint and welcoming atmosphere.
- Montauk: This site is home to the iconic lighthouse and the best waves for southern surfers. It's also known for its fresh seafood, which you can indulge in at the Lobster Roll restaurant.