Niagara Falls is located on the border of the United States and Canada, so you can get there from New York. However, be aware that they are quite far away, about 650 km from New York City.
If you've decided to visit this natural wonder during your trip to New York, you should know that there are different ways to get there (train, bus, car, plane...) and that you can do it as part of an organised tour or on your own. It will be a long trip, but it will be worth it. Let me tell you more.
The best way to go to Niagara Falls: an organised tour
The most popular option for anyone visiting Niagara Falls from New York is to do it as part of an organised tour, which I highly recommend. The reasons? You don't have to worry about planning anything, you avoid last minute mishaps and you make sure you get the most out of your time.
The best excursions
The minimum length of tours from New York to Niagara Falls is one day including travel, but you can also book a two-day tour or longer if you want to see the Falls in more depth. They all include a guide, National Park admission and other tours and tickets for the Maid of the Mist cruise. Here are the best ones:
- Niagara Falls day trip from New York - From £117.
- NiagaraFalls 2 day tour from New York - From £296
- NiagaraFalls, Toronto and 1000 Islands 3 day tour from New York - From £429
- Price: from €180
- Operating companies: Hellotickets
- Total duration: minimum 22 hours, but there are trips lasting up to 3 days.
- Recommended if: You want to be carefree and enjoy the experience.
How to get to Niagara Falls by plane - the quickest way to Niagara Falls
The flight from New York to Niagara Falls takes less than an hour and lands at either Niagara Falls Airport (a small airport very close to the Falls) or Buffalo Airport, which is the closest large airport to Niagara Falls.
How to get from Buffalo airport to Niagara Falls
Flights to Buffalo are the most common. However, keep in mind that once you land, it's still a 40-80 minute drive to the state park where the Falls are located. From Buffalo airport to the Falls you can get there:
- By bus: it takes about an hour and a half and costs around 15 euros.
- By car or taxi: it takes about 40 minutes and the price varies depending on the company and whether or not you book the journey in advance.
Important fact! It is true that the plane is the fastest and most attractive option. However, bear in mind that it is also the most expensive: plane tickets from New York to Buffalo can cost up to $600, but if you find a bargain by booking in advance, don't hesitate!
There are some flights that land at Rochester airport, but it is much further away, so I don't recommend it.
- Price: 200 to 500 euros
- Operating airlines: American Airlines, Delta, United Airlines, JetBlue Airways...
- Length of trip: one and a half hours
- Recommended if: You are short on time during your trip.
There are some flights that land at Rochester airport, but it's a bit further away, so I don't recommend it.
Getting to Niagara Falls by car - the most convenient option
If you're a fan of travelling in a leisurely fashion, you may want to rent a car in New York and drive to Niagara Falls. It will take you just over six hours in total, but you can stop at places like Watkins Glen State Park, Letchworth Nature Park and Seneca Lake. In this case, the drive will definitely be part of the experience.
The price of a rental car in New York will depend on the agency and the number of days you use it. You can rent a car to get there and back, you can rent a car in Manhattan and drop it off at an office near the Falls and fly back, or you can go on a full-fledged road trip and continue on to your next destination by road. If you choose this option, you can park near the Falls in a number of car parks.
Bear in mind that in the USA you have to be 21 or over to rent a car in most places (although the minimum age to drive there is 16) and that you'll need to apply for a foreign driver's licence before your trip.
- Price: Depends on days of use
- Operating companies: Rentalcars, Avis, Hertz, Sixt...
- Duration of the trip: six and a half hours
- Recommended if: You have the time and you like to enjoy the journey
Getting to Niagara Falls by bus: the cheapest option
Are you on a tight budget but don't want to miss out on the experience of visiting Niagara Falls during your trip to New York? Your option is the bus. You can get a return ticket from 25 euros if you book in advance.
The buses you'll be travelling on are quite comfortable. On the downside, be prepared for a 9 hour journey. My advice is to make the trip at night so you can sleep and choose the same option on the way back: you'll also save two nights in a hotel.
- Price: from 25 euros if you book in advance.
- Operating companies: Flixbus, Greyhound US, OurBus...
- Journeytime: nine hours
- Recommended if: you are on a tight budget
Train: the worst way to get to Niagara Falls from New York City
If the idea of travelling by train from New York to Niagara Falls crosses your mind, I recommend you to discard it. Why? Very simple: the train network in the United States is nothing like the European one in terms of quality (it is much more uncomfortable), the train will take about 9 hours to arrive (the same as the bus) and it will also be quite expensive (no less than 100 euros and that's if you buy the ticket well in advance).
All in all, there are many different ways to enjoy Niagara Falls during your visit to New York, but count on a minimum of one day to make the visit regardless of the transport you choose and whether you decide to go on your own or with an organised tour. It will be worth it.
- Price: from 100 euros if booked in advance.
- Operating companies: Amtrak
- Travel time: nine hours
- Recommended if: You don't want to travel by road
We compare all options
- Organised tour
- Price: approximately 180 €.
- Duration: from 22 hours to 3 days - you choose!
- Advantages: forget about planning, you're included and you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance.
- Disadvantages: You will have to be punctual at the agreed times at the meeting points.
- Price: from 200 to 500 euros.
- Duration: one and a half hours.
- Advantages: it is the fastest option you will find.
- Disadvantages: depending on the date, tickets may sell out or be very expensive.
- Hired car
- Price: depends on the days of use.
- Duration: 6.5 hours.
- Advantages: you can plan your departure time and make the stops you prefer.
- Disadvantages: when you arrive at your destination you will have to find a parking space and this can generate more expenses.
- Price: from 25 euros if booked in advance.
- Duration: around 9 hours.
- Advantages: it is the cheapest way
- Disadvantages: travel time can be very long compared to other methods.
- Price: from 100 euros if booked in advance.
- Duration: 9 hours.
- Advantages: avoids the traffic of road travel.
- Disadvantages: not the most comfortable option, it takes the same time as the bus and is much more expensive.