Since the tragic events of September 11, 2001, several places of remembrance and tribute to the protagonists of 9/11 have been erected in New York City, such as the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, which since its construction has become one of the must-visit places in the city.
There are plenty of things to do in New York. If you are planning a trip to New York, don't hesitate to book one of the many 9/11-related tour options available. Whether you are looking to visit only the 9/11 sights or you prefer to visit other points of interest in the city, you will certainly find several alternatives to suit your desires, your time and your budget.
1. 9/11 All-Access Tour: Ground Zero, the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum and One World Observatory
This 9/11 tour of New York is one of the most comprehensive and includes all the major sites of interest related to 9/11. It is a walking tour, with a guide personally linked to the 9/11 tragedy, who will tell you details of what happened on the day of the attack and in the days that followed.
This is an essential tour, because you have first-hand, real information and you can learn about the tragedy through the eyes of the protagonists of that day: the people of New York.
One of the favourite places for visitors is the Survivor Tree, a testimony and symbol of the resistance of the city of New York and New Yorkers to the attacks.
Admission to the 9/11 Museum, the memorial, the Survivor Tree and the One World Observatory is included in the price. Departure times can be chosen at the time of booking.
9/11 All-Access Tour Details of Interest
- Price: the price is approximately 101 euros per person.
- Duration: the tour lasts 5 hours.
- Means of transport: part of the tour is on foot and transport from one place to another can be by company or public transport.
- Advantages of this option: entrance fees are included and the guide has personal knowledge of the events that took place.
- Disadvantages of this option: the language of the tour is English, there is no English-speaking guide.
2. Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial Access Tour
This is another one of the best 9/11 tours in New York, if you are looking to see the main sites related to these events as well as other places of interest in New York City and New Jersey, as the tour includes other activities as well.
Please note that this tour does not cover 9/11 in as much depth as a more specific 9/11 tour might.
Details of interest of the Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial tour
- Price: the price is around 55 euros per person.
- Duration: the tour lasts approximately 4.5 hours.
- Means of transport: part of the tour is on foot. Ellis Island is reached by ferry.
- Advantages of this option: there are audio guides in 9 different languages including Spanish.
- Disadvantages of this option: Entrance fees to the 9/11 Museum are not included in the price.
3. 9/11 Memorial and Tribute Museum Walking Tour
If you are interested in 9/11 but don't want to spend so many hours on the same subject, you can opt for this type of 9/11 tours in New York that only visit the 9/11 Memorial and Tribute Museum.
This is an entirely walking tour, so wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
As one of the main points of interest is the 9/11 Memorial, you will have plenty of time to visit it and spend a few moments of reflection next to this impressive monument.
9/11 Memorial and Tribute Museum Walking Tour details of interest
- Price: the price is approximately 25 euros per person.
- Duration: it lasts approximately 2 hours.
- Means of transport: the tour is done entirely on foot.
- Advantages of this option: it is a tour with an English speaking guide.
- Disadvantages of this option: Entrance fees to the museum and the 9/11 memorial are not included in the price.
4. World Trade Center tour with skip-the-line access to the 9/11 museum and observatory
This is undoubtedly another of the best 9/11 tours in New York. If you opt for this tour, you will get a very complete overview of the events of 9/11, visiting the most important sites, including the One World Observatory, which stands proudly over New York City.
By opting for this tour, you have a great advantage, you don't have to queue, so there will be no down time waiting to enter the sites of interest, all the time will be spent enjoying the activities included in the tour. On this guided tour of around 5 hours you will visit the World Trade Center and access the 9/11 museum and observatory with priority entrance, no queuing included in the price.
Details of the World Trade Center tour with skip-the-line access to the 9/11 museum and observatory
- Price: This tour costs around 99 euros per person.
- Duration: it lasts approximately 5 hours.
- Means of transport: this tour is by public transport and on foot.
- Advantages of this option: all entrance fees are included in the price and you are guaranteed not to have to queue for entry to the monuments.
- Disadvantages of this option: as one of the most sought-after tours, it is sometimes difficult to get available dates, so it is advisable to book well in advance.
5. Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and 9/11 Memorial Pools Tour
This is another one of the many options for 9/11 related tours. It can be considered one of the best 9/11 tours in New York, because it takes you right to what everyone wants to see of 9/11, the memorial, also known as the "memorial pools" because of its distinctive shape.
If you want to visit New York's most iconic 9/11 memorial and you ask a local, they will definitely tell you that you have to visit the memorial.
There are many more 9/11 related activities in New York, but if you are interested in just visiting the main point of interest as well as other must-see sites in the city, such as the Statue of Liberty and the island, this is the tour for you.
The 9/11 Memorial Pools is a striking monument both for its structural beauty and its significance as a tribute and memorial to the victims.
Around the memorial, you will find the names of all those who died on that day. The memorial invites reflection and recollection and the authorities encourage you to adopt a posture of respect during your visit.
Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island & 9/11 Memorial Pools Tour Details
- Price: the cost of this tour is around 71 euros per person.
- Duration: it lasts approximately 5 hours.
- Means of transport: this tour is done by public transport, ferry and on foot.
- Advantages of this option: it shows the most emblematic 9/11 memorial.
- Disadvantages of this option: Entrance fees to the Memorial are not included in the price.
How to book one of the best 9/11 tours in NYC
Most of the available tours can be booked online. There are companies that specialise in selling package tours and include the best 9/11 tours in New York in their portfolio.
It is advisable to book through a specialised company because through them you have a secure way to buy the tour packages of your choice and also the prices are always much more convenient than if you book directly.
In addition, companies often have special promotions for certain destinations, so it is advisable to keep an eye out for these opportunities and check the pages from time to time so as not to miss out on opportunities.
Another point in favour of buying online from this type of company is that you can see the comments of people who have already bought the tours and their experiences are very helpful when it comes to choosing one of the tours offered.
Tips to consider for the best 9/11 tours in New York City
- If you are visiting any city it is important to follow some safety recommendations. In the case of New York there are many precautions to be taken and above all common sense.
- If you are participating in one of the 9/11 tours or any other tour, try never to get separated from the group. The city is huge, with millions of inhabitants and tourists, so if it is your first visit, try to be with your reference group at all times. The best thing to do is to take the contacts of your guide and your hotel with you, because if you get separated from the group accidentally, you will know where to go back to or who to call in case of need.
- When visiting 9/11 memorials and monuments, remember that for you it may be a tourist activity, but for the people of New York, it is much more than that, it is a tribute and memorial to the victims of one of the worst tragedies in the city's history.
- Many of the relatives of the thousands who died have only the Memorial to mourn their loved ones, so respect is essential during the visit. Avoid being disruptive at these places of contemplation.
- Remember to wear comfortable clothes, the tours can take several hours and many of the activities are on foot, so it is necessary to dress comfortably, especially in summer, when temperatures can be very high.
- Remember to bring sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat. It may seem like overkill, but 5 hours of walking in the summer in New York without the proper protection can leave you red as a shrimp, I know from personal experience.
- If you're travelling in winter, be aware that it's very cold and snowy, so take every precaution to stay warm and protected.
- If you're planning your trip and want to know the best time of year to travel, you can check the New York weather forecast and plan with more confidence.
What are the advantages of taking a guided 9/11 tour in New York City versus visiting the memorials and monuments on my own?
If you are wondering what are the advantages of taking a guided 9/11 tour in New York, the first advantage is undoubtedly the possibility to see the memorials with detailed explanations, which you will not have if you decide to do the trip on your own.
Having a guide is also very convenient if you do not speak English (there are many tours in Spanish). Generally, the prices of guided tours include the entrance fees to the main sights of 9/11 and will be cheaper than if you buy the entrance and transport tickets separately in most cases.
Another advantage is better time management. If you don't know the city, it can be very difficult to navigate public transport to get from one place to another, and this can lead to hours of wasted time getting from one place to another in a huge city like New York.
Missing a stop on the underground can result in hours of delays and you can end up missing a whole day of sightseeing if you don't arrive on time for scheduled activities, many of which have exact start times.
Another time-related advantage is being able to skip the queues. If you decide to take a 9/11 tour of New York with priority admission, avoiding the long lines at some monuments, you will have more time to enjoy other activities in the city.