There are two airports in Tenerife: Tenerife North (TFN) and Tenerife South (TFS), also known as Reina Sofia Airport. Wherever your flight arrives, the quickest and most comfortable way to get to your accommodation is by shared or private transfer.
In this guide you will find the best value for money options and some useful tips to know before flying to Tenerife.
Options to move between Tenerife North Airport (TFN) and your accommodation
To start enjoying your holiday on the island as soon as possible without added worries, the best thing to do is to book a private transfer from Tenerife North airport to your accommodation. Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, this is the option I recommend if you want to avoid paying extra for a taxi or private driver and if you don't want to carry your luggage on and off the bus.
Furthermore, the same transfer is available for the return journey, so that your last day in Tenerife will be worth remembering for that feeling that mixes the sadness of leaving with the joy of having experienced something beautiful, and not for the stress of arriving at the airport. With this transfer you will get to your flight on time and in the most comfortable way.
If you are travelling to Tenerife North in a group of 3, 8 or 16 people, I recommend you to choose the private transfer from Tenerife North airport to your accommodation or vice versa (with choice of vehicle), as you can choose between sedan, minivan or minibus so that the transfer best suits the size of your group.
Options for getting between Tenerife South Airport (TFS) and your accommodation
If you are flying into Tenerife South Airport, close to Costa Adeje and the beaches of Los Cristianos and Las Galletas, you will have to choose your transfer depending on your destination. All these transfers have the same characteristics as those departing from Tenerife North airport.
If your accommodation is in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the best option is to book a private transfer from Tenerife South airport to Santa Cruz de Tenerife. If your flight arrives in Tenerife South and your accommodation is near Costa Adeje, the private transfer from Tenerife South Airport to Costa Adeje is the most suitable way to reach your destination quickly.
And, if your hotel or accommodation is in the Los Cristianos beach area, you have a private transfer from Tenerife South Airport to Los Cristianos.
Finally, the private transfer from Tenerife South Airport to Playa Las Americas will take you to your hotel or other accommodation located on the beach of Las Americas located in the southwest of the island.
And for the transfer back to the airport? From any part of the island of Tenerife you can request a door to door transfer from your hotel to Tenerife South airport.
How Tenerife airport transfers work
As soon as you know your flight details, you can book one of these airport transfers online to get to your hotel from the airport. You will have to indicate the day of the transfer and the number of people sharing the vehicle.
You will also be asked for the flight identification number, the name of the airline and, of course, the destination address. Why so much information? Because this way, the operator has real-time information about your flight and is aware of any delays or problems, so he can inform the driver so that he can wait for you at the appropriate departure gate.
Once you have landed and collected your luggage, your driver will meet you and your group and place your luggage in the luggage compartment, and you can set off for your hotel or accommodation in an air-conditioned vehicle with Wi-Fi.
For departure transfers you will need to provide similar details, and by default the driver will pick you up from your accommodation in plenty of time for you to be at the airport at least three hours before your departure. If you do not consider it necessary to arrive at the airport so early, you can always change the pick-up time.
Advantages of the transfers
For me, the main advantage is the convenience of landing at the airport and not having to worry about how to get to the hotel, for a much better price than any taxi, Uber or private driver.
Another advantage is not having to carry luggage, especially for trips of a week or more, is something you will appreciate for sure.
And also, if you are arriving in Tenerife in the early hours of the morning, this is your safest option to arrive comfortably at your destination, and sometimes perhaps the only one as other types of transport will be less available at certain times of the night.
How long does it take to get to the hotel or airport?
It depends a lot on where your hotel is and which airport your flight arrives at (or departs from). To give you an idea, the journey time between Tenerife North airport and the south of the island is about 50 minutes.
To get to Santa Cruz de Tenerife from Tenerife North airport (located in San Cristobal de la Laguna), it takes about 20 minutes.
And to get to the beaches of Costa Adeje, Playa de las Americas, Los Cristianos or Las Galletas from Tenerife South, it takes no more than 15 minutes.
Getting to the hotel from the airport by public transport
If, for whatever reason, the idea of booking a private transfer doesn't appeal to you, the only option left to get to your accommodation is to take a taxi or Uber (which will cost a lot more for a poorer service) or take public transport. Here is specific information on transport from each of Tenerife's airports:
Tenerife North Airport Public Transport
All of these bus routes will take you from the airport to various points on the island. The bus stop is on the -1 floor of the airport, with timetables operating from 7-8am until 22-23pm, depending on the line.
- Bus 20: runs between the airport, the capital (Santa Cruz) and the north of the island (La Laguna). The fare is €2.65 (Airport - Santa Cruz de Tenerife) or €2.45 (Airport - La Laguna).
- Bus 30: runs from Tenerife North Airport to Puerto de la Cruz. Price per ticket is €4.75.
- Bus 104: connects the north airport with Santa Cruz, Tacoronte and the north of the island (Puerto de la Cruz and La Laguna). The fare is €2.65 to Santa Cruz, €2.45 to La Laguna or Tacoronte and €4.75 to Puerto de la Cruz.
- Bus 343: to get from Tenerife North to Tenerife South via La Laguna. Price per ticket is €9.70 to go to Tenerife South Airport, €4.75 to go to Puerto de la Cruz, and €12.40 to go to Los Cristianos beach.
Public transport from Tenerife South
The bus stop at Tenerife South is on floor 0, in the arrivals area.
- Bus 40: to get from Tenerife South to the tourist beaches in this part of the island. The ticket costs €3.20 to get to Los Cristianos and €3.70 to get to Costa Adeje.
- Bus 111: connects Tenerife South Airport with the island's capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, with a ticket price of €9.35.
- Bus 711: this route goes from Tenerife South airport to Santa Cruz and the main beaches of the island, with the particularity of being a night service. The price per ticket is 3,20 € to go to Los Cristianos, 3,70 € to go to Costa Adeje and 9,35 € to get to Santa Cruz.
- Bus 343: this bus takes you from Tenerife South to Tenerife North, passing through La Laguna de San Cristobal. The fare is €9.70 to Tenerife South Airport, €4.75 to Puerto de la Cruz, and €12.40 to Los Cristianos beach.
- Bus 415: connects the airport with the towns in the south of the island, with a fare of €2.85 per ticket.
What I should know about Tenerife's airports
- Free Wi-Fi is available at both airports.
- There are several restaurants of the major fast food chains.
- Probably the most important thing: the maximum value you can carry in your suitcase (from your purchases without taxes) is up to 430 €, with a maximum of up to 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of tobacco and 1 litre of alcohol in the case of spirits, 4 litres of wine and up to 16 litres of beer, although you really have to have a very good excuse to carry so much alcohol in your luggage.
- You'll find car rental desks at both airports.