There is much to see in La Gomera to enjoy with all five senses, not only in terms of the natural treasures it holds, but also in terms of its gastronomy. Authentic cuisine with a diversity of ingredients that is reflected in the character of its dishes.
Enjoying the local gastronomy is another way of visiting the island and understanding its culture. There are options for all tastes and budgets. If you want to spend a pleasant time trying genuine Gomeran food, take a look at these 10 restaurants on La Gomera that will make your getaway a memorable experience.
1. Feel like a local in Gastro-Tasca Estadio
This restaurant located in the municipality of Hermigua is a charming place to sit down to eat and take a break on your route, especially if you come from hiking around the island.
The food at Gastro-Tasca Estadio is fantastic, simple and tasty. Highly recommended are the cod in leek and seafood sauce, the mushrooms with garlic, the chicken in sauce and the almogrote. There are also hamburgers and sandwiches for children.
Many locals come to this restaurant, as the staff is friendly and contributes to the pleasant atmosphere.
- Where it is: Carretera General De Hermigua 129, Hermigua, 38820, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: Cod in leek and seafood sauce.
- Ideal for: Families, couples and alone.
2. The best escaldón de gofio in Bodegón Restaurante Agana
If you go to Vallehermoso during your stay in La Gomera, you must go to eat at Bodegón Restaurante Agana to taste the typical gastronomy of the island made with local products.
The food is spectacular, especially the watercress stew, tripe, ribs with potatoes and grilled cheese. The portions are plentiful and the prices are quite reasonable.
The staff is pleasant and quick, which is appreciated if you arrive hungry, as they take very little time to give you a table. The restaurant is well kept and clean.
- Where it is: Avenida Guillermo Ascanio Moreno 5, 38840 Vallehermoso, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: Escaldón de gofio (gofio stew)
- Ideal for: Couples and families.
3. The best almogrote of the island in Tasca Las Cruces
If you like traditional restaurants, in the old town of Agulo you will find Tasca Las Cruces, a small bar where you can eat the best of traditional Gomeran cuisine at reasonable prices.
I recommend you try the almogrote (one of the best on the island) as well as the avocado omelette, the tuna with mojo and wrinkled potatoes, the cuttlefish or the ensaladilla.
The atmosphere is cosy and very quiet. The staff are attentive and make every effort to make you feel at ease during your meal. This restaurant does not have many tables so I recommend you to book before you go.
- Where: Calle de Pedro Bethencourt 15B, 38830 Agulo, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: Tuna in mojo sauce.
- Ideal for: Families, couples and alone.
4. Get in touch with the gastronomic tradition of the island in La Montaña - Casa Efigenia
Going to this restaurant in Las Hayas is an experience in itself. The quality of the food is excellent and the recipes will allow you to connect with the gastronomic tradition of the island at a very good price. They are not sophisticated dishes but they will leave a good taste in your mouth.
What's more, the history of this place full of memories is striking, where you can still talk to Doña Efigenia, the owner, who started her business at the end of the 1940s and has been receiving customers ever since.
The dishes at La Montaña - Casa Efigenia are tasty and healthy, made exclusively with products from the garden (no fish or meat), which is an option for vegetarians. I recommend you to try the watercress stew, the stew menu, the goat cheese with jam or the almogrote.
The service is friendly and efficient and Doña Efigenia is a real charmer. If she likes you, she will tell you lots of stories about La Gomera. For that reason alone, this restaurant is worth a visit.
- Where: Ctra de Las Hayas-Arure, 38892 Las Hayas, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: El menú puchero
- Ideal for: Families, couples and alone.
5. The best restaurant for families, Sal & Pimienta
If during your stay in La Gomera you are looking for a quiet restaurant with a cool atmosphere where you can relax for lunch, Sal & Pimienta in Valle Gran Rey is a great option.
It's a fairly spacious place with spectacular views, perfect if you're travelling with a group of friends or with the family, as they have a children's play area for the kids to entertain themselves for a while after their meal.
I recommend ordering the pizzas (they are delicious!) as well as the pasta with almogrote or the Sal y Pimienta salad. The dishes are beautifully presented and the restaurant staff are friendly.
Don't leave the restaurant without trying one of their delicious cocktails- they are the finishing touch to a great meal!
- Where: Avenida El Llano, 29, 38870, La Gomera Spain
- Recommended dish: The pizzas
- Ideal for: Families
6. The best gofio pancakes in Roger's Café
You'll find this original little café in the island's capital, San Sebastián de La Gomera. What's remarkable about this place is that its owner, Roger, is also the waiter and the cook, and believe it or not, the food comes out quickly!
The atmosphere here is calm and pleasant, perfect for couples or groups of friends. Roger's Café 's menu is simple and not too extensive. The dishes are surprising and delicious. The burgers and the sweet and savoury crepes deserve a special mention.
- Where it is: Calle de la República de Panamá 3, 38800 San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: The hamburger Roger
- Ideal for: Friends and couples.
7. The best homemade food on La Palma in Pensión Víctor
Pensión Víctor is the place to go in San Sebastián de la Gomera if you want to have typical Gomeran food for lunch: watercress stew, almogrote, wrinkled potatoes, roasted cheese with palm honey... all homemade and cooked to order!
The dishes are plentiful, so you won't leave hungry. There are even vegetarian options, so it's an interesting place to consider in the island's capital.
The service is friendly and the value for money is unbeatable. The place is quite nice and original, with an interior dining room that almost looks like a terrace. To repeat!
- Where: Calle Real 23, 38800 San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: Grilled cheese with palm honey
- Ideal for: Solo and couples.
8. Homemade desserts that will take your breath away at Bar Restaurante Victoria
If you are looking for traditional recipes in La Gomera, made with quality raw materials and a lot of care, you cannot miss Bar Restaurante Victoria during your stay on the island.
The restaurant staff are very friendly and the place is spotless. Among their dishes I would highlight the chickpeas, the grilled cheese with mojo sauce and the liver in sauce. The desserts are homemade, so don't hesitate to try them! Bar Restaurante Victoria also has a very varied wine list.
As for the prices, they are quite affordable. The overall experience is one to repeat on your next trip to La Gomera.
- Where: Carretera General de El Cercado - Chipude, 38869 El Cercado, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: Chickpeas
- Ideal for: Alone, friends and couples.
9. Eat like a king at reasonable prices in Tasca Restaurante El Carraca
If you are visiting the town of Vallehermoso during your trip to La Gomera and you get the itch, I recommend you visit the restaurant El Carraca.
It is a small but cosy place where you can eat deliciously. The waiters are very attentive at all times and make recommendations from their menu according to the customer's tastes. The service is efficient and the dishes arrive promptly, which is appreciated when you're hungry.
Some of the most delicious dishes you can try here are the black tomato with garlic, aubergines with honey from Palma, vegan croquettes and scrambled eggs, among others. In terms of value for money, it's good value for money.
- Where: C/ Nueva Creacion s/n (Pedestrian street in the direction of the Church), 38840 Vallehermoso, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: Tomate negro al ajillo (black tomato with garlic)
- Ideal for: Alone, friends and couples.
10. The best pizzas on the island in Pizzeria Gondola
Everybody likes pizzas and the ones at Pizzería Góndola in the municipality of Valle Gran Rey will surprise you. It will be difficult to choose just one! However, in this restaurant there are many more options to try, some of them with a fusion style from other cultures such as Asian, Peruvian or Mexican.
As I said, the pizzas are very tasty, but if you want to take advantage of your visit to eat something different, I recommend the sea bream tempura, the traditional ceviche, the black rice with squid, or the paella with rabbit and boletus. You won't be disappointed!
The waiters are professional and helpful and the place is very cosy. The prices are quite reasonable. Without a doubt, a good place to drop by during a stroll through Valle Gran Rey.
- Where: calle vueltas nº3, 38870, La Gomera, Spain
- Recommended dish: Arroz negro con calamares (black rice with squid)
- Ideal for: Friends, family and couples.
Typical dishes from La Gomera that you will want to try
Although La Gomera is the second smallest island of the Canary Islands, it has a great gastronomic wealth based on local products that have given rise to one of the tastiest cuisines of the archipelago, such as potatoes, Canarian cheese, gofio or guarapo. Some of the most typical dishes are:
- Almogrote: This is a kind of pâté made with aged cheese and Canarian mojo, slightly spicy and very tasty as its texture melts in your mouth. Perfect as an aperitif to be enjoyed spread on bread and with a glass of Gomeran wine.
- Papas arrugadas: This is the star dish of the Canary Islands made with boiled, unpeeled potatoes served as a tapa or as an accompaniment to a meat or fish dish with the traditional sauces of mojo picón and mojo verde.
- Watercress stew: A simple but very tasty stew that everyone likes. It is a wonderful dish to eat in winter. It can be served with or without meat (pork ribs), corn and accompanied by a little gofio, an essential ingredient in Canarian cuisine.
- Gofio escaldado: This is actually a typical dish from Tenerife, which is prepared with great skill on La Gomera and tastes great. It is made with meat or fish broth over which gofio is poured and then kneaded. Extra pork ribs, green mojo or onion can be added to make it a main dish, as it is usually served as a starter.
- Guarapo: some dishes such as fried aubergines are seasoned with guarapo, the sweet sage extracted from the Canary Island palm tree and reminiscent of honey. It can also be used on meat and the result is delicious.
- Torta de vilana: This is a typical dessert from La Gomera, with a texture somewhere between pudding and sponge cake made with potatoes, almonds and sultanas, among other ingredients. It is very tasty!
- Gofio mousse: A simple dessert made with gofio, almonds and guarapo that will delight the sweet tooth. Try it!
How much budget do you need to eat in La Gomera approximately?
On La Gomera you'll find dining options to suit all budgets. Depending on what you're looking for you can go to fast food restaurants where you can order for less than €10, tapas bars where you can eat tapas for less than €20 or even hotels for which you may need a bigger budget.
The opening hours for lunch, dinner and restaurants in La Gomera
Meal times on La Gomera are generally no different from those on the mainland. Meals take place between 1PM and 3 PM while dinners take place between 8:30 PM and 11 PM.
If you want to eat at a particular restaurant in La Gomera, I recommend that before booking a table you do a Google search or search on the social networks of each restaurant to find out the opening hours of the establishment as well as the days they are closed for rest or public holidays. It will be easier for you to choose the day to visit them!
How tipping works in La Gomera's restaurants
Unlike in other countries, tipping in restaurants at the end of a meal is not obligatory in Spain, as it is included in the bill as part of the price of the service.
However, tipping in restaurants is usually a function of the customer's generosity, how satisfied they are with the service and the total amount of the meal.
If you are very happy with the service when you eat at a restaurant in La Gomera, I recommend you do so to let the waiters and chefs know that they made an effort and did a good job.