The Alhambra in Granada is one of the most beautiful monuments in Spain and one of the most visited. If you want to visit it during a trip to the Nasrid city, the first thing to do is to check the opening hours to plan your visit.
Opening times of the Alhambra
The Alhambra is open every day of the week, from Monday to Sunday. The opening hours of the entire monumental complex of the Alhambra in Granada (Alcazaba, Nasrid Palaces, Generalife, Palace of Charles V and Bath of the Mosque) are as follows:
- Daytime winter opening hours (from October 15th to March 31st): Monday to Sunday from 8:30 AM to 6 PM
- Evening visit in winter time (from October 15th to March 31st): Fridays and Saturdays, from 8 PM to 9:30 PM
- Daytime Summer Hours (April 1 - October 14): Monday - Sunday, 8:30 AM - 8 PM
- Summer evening visit (April 1 to October 14): Tuesday through Saturday, 10 PM to 11:30 PM
Timetables of the guided visits to the Alhambra
For guided tours of the Alhambra, there are usually several passes per day: in Hellotickets, for example, the first visits start at 10:30 AM and there is also the possibility of doing them at 12 PM or 5 PM, so you can organise your visit according to the plan you have for the rest of the day.
Although you can visit the Alhambra of Granada on your own, if it is the first time you visit this important monumental complex and you are not familiar with its history and the different spaces that compose it, my advice is to book a guided tour of the Alhambra to discover with an expert guide all the corners and curiosities of the Nasrid palace city.
You will have a much more complete and interesting vision not only about its historical but also its artistic dimension. Guided tours of the Alhambra in Granada take place during the monument's opening hours.
Night timetable for visiting the Alhambra
If this is your first time in Granada you will probably want to visit the Alhambra during the day, but if you feel like enjoying a quiet visit without the crowds, an excellent option is the night entrance ticket.
If the beauty of the Alhambra is stunning in daylight, it is even more so at night. The illumination envelops the palatine city in an enigmatic and fascinating atmosphere. To contemplate it in the moonlight and in the stillness of the night is a magical experience.
- Night visit in winter time (from 15th October to 31st March): Fridays and Saturdays, from 8 PM to 9:30 PM.
- Night visit during the summer timetable (from April 1st to October 14th): Tuesday to Saturday, from 10 PM to 11:30 PM
In the article Night visits to the Alhambra I tell you everything you need to know about this kind of tours that discover the most enigmatic and intimate side of the monument. You will love them!
Timetable of the Generalife
Take note of the opening hours to visit the Generalife Gardens and Palace, the summer villa where the sultans of Granada retired to rest and escape the formalities of the court.
The Generalife Palace and its gardens is one of the most popular areas of the Alhambra along with the Nasrid Palaces.
- Daytime visits in winter timetable (from 15th October to 31st March): Monday to Sunday from 8:30 AM to 6 PM
- Daytime visits in summer timetable (from April 1st to October 14th): Monday to Sunday from 8:30 AM to 8 PM
- Winter evening visits (from November 15 to March 31: Tuesday to Saturday from 10 PM to 11:30 PM).
- Summer evening visit (from April 1 to November 14): Friday and Saturday from 8 PM to 9:30 PM
Opening hours of the Nasrid Palaces
This is the most visited part of the Alhambra in Granada and where the Nasrid kings resided. During the tour, access to the Nasrid Palaces must be made at the time indicated on the ticket as only this part of the monumental complex will be accessible during these hours.
Remember that the visit to the Alhambra must be organised according to the time of entry to the Nasrid Palaces and be punctual due to the existing capacity control.
- Daytime visit (from October 15th to March 31st): Monday to Sunday from 8:30 AM to 6 PM
- Daytime visit (from April 1st to October 14th): Monday to Sunday from 8:30 AM to 8 PM
- Evening visit (from October 15 to March 31): Friday and Saturday from 8 PM to 9:30 PM
- Evening visit (from April 1 to October 14): Tuesday to Saturday from 10 PM to 11:30 PM
What is the best time to visit the Alhambra in Granada?
Early in the morning
Generally, the best time to visit the Alhambra in Granada is early in the morning when it opens its doors. It is usually not crowded and you will be able to visit all the areas of the monument at your leisure. Besides, after the visit you will have the rest of the day to do other activities around the city. If you want to know what else you can do in Granada, don't miss the post The best excursions and guided tours in Granada.
The number of visitors is also lower around 3 or 4 PM so after eating in a restaurant near the Alhambra, the afternoon is also a good time to visit the Alhambra. You will also have the chance to enjoy the sunset while strolling within its walls, which is considered to be the most beautiful in Spain.
In the evening
However, night visits to the Alhambra in Granada are fascinating, as the special lighting of the palatine city makes the experience of visiting it in the silence of the night magical.
When is the Alhambra closed?
The Alhambra in Granada is open every day of the year except 25th December and 1st January. However, if there are any changes to your plans or the monument has to close in the unlikely event of an incident or unforeseen event, you can check by doing a Google search before you travel.
Finally, if you are planning a visit to the Alhambra in the near future, to get the most out of this fantastic experience I recommend you read the article Tips for visiting the Alhambra where you will find more useful advice.