Because before venturing among the best things to do and see in Cusco you must go through its gateway, here you will find the definitive guide on transfers between the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport and the fascinating city of Cusco.
From the shared transfer that connects you with other travellers to the luxury of a private transfer, through the famous "combis", in this article you will find their prices, advantages and a comparison so you can choose the option that suits your tastes, needs and budget. Let's go there!
1. Shared transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: an economical but uncommon option
Once you leave the airport, you will be greeted by a group of travellers, often with the same destination: the Plaza de Armas, the meeting place and starting point to immerse yourself in the wonders of Cusco. Together, you could share the ride in a comfortable multi-passenger vehicle such as those offered by Uber.
However, it is important to keep in mind that the shared transfer may take longer than other alternatives, as you must wait for all passengers to arrive and settle into the vehicle. In addition, the transfer itinerary may vary depending on everyone's location. However, if you have the time and are willing to immerse yourself in the true essence of travel, a shared transfer is a convenient option at a good price.
Shared transfers have gained popularity around Europe and in Latin America the growth of this type of transport has been timid, but as locals and tourists feel safe and competitively priced, more people are joining the movement.
Details of interest
- Journeytime: 20 - 25 minutes.
- Price: from €1.
- Advantages of using this method: This type of transfer offers several advantages. Firstly, it is an economical option, as the cost is divided between the passengers. The average cost is 20 soles, about 5 €, each passenger will pay 1 or 2 € at most and will be transferred in a taxi. It also gives you the opportunity to meet people from different cultures and countries, enriching your travel experience.
- How to book this transport: by logging into the Uber app directly.
- Recommended if: you are looking for an economical option with a company with an international presence.
2. Private transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: a comfortable, safe option with personalised attention
For those travellers who want a more personalised and convenient experience, the private transfer from the airport to Cusco is the ideal option. Upon arrival at Teniente Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport, you will be met by a friendly driver who will be waiting to take you to your destination. Whether you are travelling alone, as a couple or in a group, you will enjoy an exclusive journey, without unnecessary delays or detours.
Your journey will be carried out in a comfortable vehicle equipped with air conditioning and supervised through a 24-hour centralised dispatch system with GPS tracking. A professional representative will ensure that your transfer is safe and comfortable. The transfer operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can book at any time.
Say goodbye to the stress of navigating public transport or haggling with taxi drivers. With a private transfer, you'll arrive at the hotel, the centre or straight to the train station to join your excursion to Machu Picchu from Cusco. Whichever destination you prefer, arrive fresh and ready to follow the Inca Trail.
Details of interest
- Journey time: 20 - 25 minutes.
- Price: from 8 €.
- Advantages of using this method: comfort and privacy are the cornerstones of this type of transfer. You will be able to relax and enjoy the scenery as you make your way to Cusco, without having to worry about sharing space with strangers. On the other hand, this type of transfer is ideal if you are visiting Cusco with your family, as you can choose between 2 to 16 seats. Moreover, flexibility is another great advantage of the private transfer, as it allows you to choose the departure time that suits you best and stop at any point along the way.
- How to book this transport: on the website of your preferred operator.
- Recommended if: you want to travel comfortably, safely and with personalised service.
3. Train transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: ideal option for long itineraries
The train is a classic means of transport in Peru that offers a pleasant travel experience with guides, comfortable and well-equipped carriages, to relax and enjoy the panoramic view of the mountains, valleys and rivers that unfold along the way. However, the closest station to Cusco airport is Wanchaq, located 4 kilometres from the airport.
If you opt for the train service, the alternative is bimodal, a combination of bus/minibus/taxi and train. This type of transfer is functional if your accommodation is in the province of Urubamba, Ollantaytambo, Poroy or Aguas Calientes. The latter, by the way, is the best way if your intention is to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco in the fastest way, as it is located 10 kilometres from the site.
Train transfers give you the opportunity to admire the natural beauty of the Andes from panoramic windows, you can see waterfalls, snow-capped peaks and picturesque Andean villages. It is not only a means of transport, but an experience in itself, which will leave a lasting impression on your memory.
Details of interest
- Duration of the trip: depends on the destination you choose outside the centre of Cusco.
- Price: from 5 €.
- Advantages of using this method: this option is perfect for those who wish to fully immerse themselves in the grandeur of the region and contemplate spectacular scenery as they make their way to their destination.
- How to book this transport: visit the website of PeruRail, the flagship company of the service.
- Recommended if: you plan to visit Cusco in 5 days or more, given the travel time for the combination of transport.
4. Bus transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: the cheapest option.
The airport of Cusco does not have a special bus for transfers to the city centre. However, this is the most popular option. How is that possible? Because of the variety of alternatives and better prices. You can go to the centre by bus in the following way:
With the tourist bus
In Cusco there are two types of tourist bus service. You can find the classic Hop on Hop off which goes through 13 of the most emblematic places of the city.
You can identify this bus, as almost everywhere else in the world, by its distinctive red colour, but in this case it does not pass through the airport. However, you will find the Cusco Hop on Hop off, a local company that in addition to doing the typical tourist bus route, also offers a transfer service from the airport to your accommodation in Cusco for a small fee.
- Duration of the trip: 20 - 30 minutes.
- Price: from 8 €.
- Advantages of using this method: you have the comfort of travelling in an air-conditioned minivan that takes you from the airport to your accommodation. The service is reliable and safe. You can anticipate this service online. Up to 9 passengers are accepted in each unit, perfect for travelling with family or friends.
- How to book this transport: online, by visiting the Cusco Hop on Hop off page.
- Recommended yes: if you are travelling as a couple or with friends (the service is available for 2 passengers or more) and you want to secure your transport service from the airport at a competitive price with comfort and safety.
With the "combis
If your adventurous spirit goes hand in hand with a tight budget, the transfer in the famous minibuses, better known as "combis" from Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport to Cusco, is the perfect choice for you. While this option may not be the most popular among travellers, it offers an economical and convenient way to get to your accommodation.
Once you leave the airport, you head towards the bustling Avenida Velasco Astete, where you will find the bus stop. These minibuses with a capacity of around 25 passengers pass by quite regularly. RTU 12 is the main bus line covering the route, and before boarding, you can ask the driver for your destination.
These vehicles will take you to the centre of Cusco, and you can get off at Avenida El Sol, Huayrurupata, Plaza de Armas, Plaza San Francisco and more. You can ask the driver before boarding. For convenience, you will find a list of stops on the side of the bus, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
While this option may take longer than others, it is a unique opportunity to enjoy the journey in its entirety, and perhaps discover unexpected places along the way. It is a good alternative if you have light luggage and feel like immersing yourself in the local culture from the moment you step on board.
- Journeytime: 25 - 35 minutes.
- Price: from €0.5.
- Advantages of using this method: this option is the cheapest. It will allow you to allocate more budget to explore and enjoy the wonders of Cusco once you arrive.
- How to book this transport: there is no reservation, you just have to pick up a unit on Velasco Astete Avenue, in front of the airport exit.
- Recommended if: you are travelling on a budget and have time.
5. Taxi transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: the fastest, most practical and most expensive option
If you prefer a faster and more convenient option, a taxi transfer from Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport to Cusco is an excellent choice. Taxis are readily available just outside the terminal and will take you directly to your destination in the city without making any additional stops.
Outside the airport you'll see a horde of taxi drivers whipping tourists around, but their prices tend to be much higher - around 15-20 € - although the fare is around 8 €. It is important to agree the fare with the driver before getting into the taxi to avoid unpleasant surprises. Especially as taxis in Cusco do not usually have a meter, so this point is important.
Another important aspect is to make sure you change into local soles at the airport, at least for this expense. While it is true that exchange houses in the historic centre offer better rates, it is also true that most taxi drivers do not accept cards, so carrying a little cash in local currency is best.
Opting for a taxi gives you the convenience of a private, personalised journey. You can enjoy the journey at your own pace and without having to share space with other passengers. In addition, local taxi drivers usually know the city well and can give you recommendations on places of interest, restaurants and activities in Cusco.
Details of interest
- Journeytime: 15 - 20 minutes.
- Price: from 8 €.
- Advantages of using this method: you travel comfortably, quickly and with personalised service.
- How to book this transport: no reservations are made, unless you decide to use a service such as Uber, recommended if you have data available on your phone.
- Recommended yes: Taxi transfers are ideal if you want to get to your destination quickly, value privacy and convenience. It is a particularly recommended option if you are carrying heavy luggage or if you are travelling in a small group and want to optimise your transfer time.
Can I rent a car at Alejandro Velasco airport in Cusco?
Yes you can! And it is recommended as long as you like adventures behind the wheel and don't mind improvising from time to time. Let me explain, they are good routes, the problem is that these roads are not well signposted.
Although these are not the winding streets of the French Riviera or some of the dangerous roads of Peru, there are curves and the mountains often interfere with the GPS. Now, if you feel like exploring Cusco at your own pace, renting a car at Alejandro Velasco Airport is the perfect option for you.
When you arrive at the airport, a variety of companies such as Sixt Rent a Car or Wellas Rent-A-Car and local Peruvian agencies are waiting for you, ready to rent you a car. Imagine driving along the scenic roads, surrounded by majestic mountains and breathtaking landscapes. The freedom to choose your own path and stop at breathtaking places is something only a true adventure can offer.
It is important to note that availability may vary depending on the time and day of your arrival so it is advisable to book in advance. The average daily cost for a sedan car is €35, remember that prices may vary in special situations, such as high demand days or adverse weather conditions, but don't let that stop you - the thrill of embarking on your own journey is just a few steps away!
Comparison of airport transfers from the airport to Cusco
- Shared transfer from the airport Alejandro Velasco to Cusco
- Cheap but uncommon option
- Approximately 1 - 2 €.
- 20 - 25 minutes
- Private transfer from Alejandro Velasco Airport to Cusco
- Comfortable, safe and personalised option
- From 8 €
- 20 - 30 minutes
- Transfer by train from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco
- Ideal option for itineraries of 5 days or more.
- From €5
- Depends on the destination you choose outside the centre of Cusco.
- Transfer by bus from Alejandro Velasco Airport to Cusco
- The cheapest option with irregular itineraries from the list.
- From 0,5 €
- 25 - 35 minutes
- Taxi transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco
- The fastest, most practical and most expensive option
- From € 8
- 15 - 20 minutes.